Asbestos refers to a set of six naturally occurring minerals that were once a staple in the construction industry. These fibrous minerals were widely used as a fireproof and insulation material until it was later discovered to be damaging to health. Unfortunately, its fibrous nature is also what makes asbestos dangerous. When inhaled, these fibres can lodge in the tissue of the lungs and pose health risks. For this reason, asbestos-containing materials must be handled with care during home renovations and demolitions.
Asbestos has carcinogenic minerals and only a licensed asbestos professional should be contracted to properly remove and dispose the substance. Doing it on your own will only disturb them and further worsen the damage that it can cause, thus, exposing yourself and your home to asbestos fibres more. Here’s an infographic from AWARE explaining in detail the residential asbestos removal process.